Sunday, May 19, 2013

My first experience as PaceMaker at NRM2013

From the beginning PaceMaking (PM) was is a runner who leads a middle- or long distance running event for the first section to ensure a fast time and avoid excessive tactical racing.(from Wikipedia), but nowadays we saw PM at half- and full marathon. Usually time for PM in 1/2marathon is 1:30, 2:00 and 2:30, for marathon 3:30, 4:00, 4:30; but in great competitions, where are more than 20K participants PM became obligatory. PM can be after 15 minutes, so the runners feel more comfortable and safe.
Before I never thought that one day I will be PM. For me it was something hard, serious and need lots of concentrations and experience. But when I saw the offer for PM at 1/2marathon for 2:15, I thought that I could get it. New experience in racing, new emotions, I thought I van help those that will run their first half-marathon(Half). I send description of my running history, and I was accepted to be PM at Half :))) Nice! I read description, some discussions what PM need to do on the race. Learn more about responsibility, achievements and advantages that I can share to other runners.
Before the race was EXPO (as usual), but as difference from others we-PMs help some runners at EXPO. We introduce ourselves. You know, its good to see your green-light before the start. It get you some courage. For me it was very funny and enjoyable, we got some ice-creams, pasta party, discuss with nice people. Great party!

At race day we need to be more than hour before the start time, so we can do some things like get balloons, find our corridor etc.
The beginning of the race was very slow...slow as can be pre-excercises. We walk or run i didn't remember, but slow beginning help you to spread the power through whole race. First 5Kwas very funny, cause we run through the city, where we get some applauds and ... . Then we run  through the bridge Vanshu tilts, one guy from our PM ... me a bottle of water,at this moment I waked up :))
Next funny thing was happened, when we cross bridge Diendvidu. It was very hot, sunny and some runners were very bored. As result, when we cross the bridge and got back to road, we saw some emergency cars in shadow, that take care of runners. I looked at Garmin - it was 15th km, so 6 more left. We need to recover and to raise speed. I propose to play the hot-buns or hot-sweat-shirt. As a result 3-4 more km passed funny with jokes. Saw that runners got more energy from this. One more water pit-stop and we began to run our finish part. 18th...19th... I took some guys and girls from walking to running. And propose to play the game - "if i catch you, nothing good happens".
Rules were very simple, you need to run as fast as you can to finish line ))) By the way, i cached ~2-3 runners, and took em to finish. They were happy, that can finish half-marathon before 2:15.
After i got my finisher medal, i turn back and saw how first marathoner finishing his race. 2:15!! For marathon. It amazing.
In general I liked to be PaceMaker, if there be one more possibility i will definitely take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment